Earth Day

Earth Day originated in the United States of America.The purpose of Earth Day was to spend a whole day focused on our environment and to learn how to take care of it. We celebrate the anniversary of Earth Day on April 22.

The very first Earth Day was celebrated on April 22, 1970. Earth Day was started by Gaylord Nelson, who came up with the idea for a national day to focus on our environment. Nelson believed that an issue as important as our environment had not been noticed by our population, so he created Earth Day. As a result, 20 million people nationwide attended festivals to support the idea.

Earth Day originated in the United States, though it was recognized worldwide before 1990. The first Earth Day had 20 million participants, and these people gathered in the streets of America to protest the industrial revolution. In 2009, Earth Day was formally renamed International Mother Earth Day.

During the 2011 Earth Day, more than 28 million trees were planted in Afghanistan by those who worked in the Earth Day Network. In 2012, more than 100,000 people in China rode bikes to decrease the amount of CO2 emission and to save fuel. In Panama, 100 endangered orchid species were planted and cared for to prevent their extinction.

One way you can help the environment on Earth Day is get to a recyclable water bottle. The United States uses 50 billion plastic water bottles yearly. Most of these bottles are are not recycled and end up in oceans, landfills, and other places that can harm animals and the environment. Just creating these bottles uses 17 million barrels of gasoline which would be enough to power 1.3 million cars for a whole year.

Another way to help the environment on Earth Day is to start composting. Composting biodegradable food and materials is a good way to feed soil, organisms in the soil, and plants while simultaneously reducing waste. All you have to do is store all your vegetables, fruits, and other extra scraps in a plastic bag and place them in your freezer. Then you can dump out the bag when it’s full at a compost collecting place. Those are two ways to help the environment on Earth Day.

As you can see, Earth Day is very important to our community. There are so many different ways to celebrate it, and many facts about it that you may have been unaware of. Although it was originated in America, it is celebrated all over the world.