Spring Break

There are many things that kids and parents like to do for fun over Spring Break. Most of these things could be expensive like resort hotels or amusement parks. And some could be without spending a dime like staying at home.

Spring Break started  in 1986, in Daytona Beach, Florida when MTV launched its first Spring Break special. It started off as a program which then started spreading to other schools and businesses. This eventually led it to spread across the nation. ‘Beer & Beach’ was the original name given to what is now Spring Break .

Some popular things to do on Spring Break are road trips, water parks, events, beaches, hiking, swimming, biking, or just staying at home and relaxing. Some popular places to go swimming are Blue Hole in Regional Park in Wimberley or Blanco State Park in Blanco. If you want to do more than swimming there are water parks such as Typhoon Texas in Austin, Rock’n River Waterpark, and the Quarry Splash Pad in Williamson County. If you do not like getting wet, there are hiking trails in the Katy Crossing Trail Park, Picket Trail, and San Gabriel Park. These parks are great places to go biking. Popular events you can go to during Spring Break are Dallas Blooms, Space Mission at Legoland, and Six Flags. Popular beaches for Spring Break are located in Galveston, South Padre Island in Brownsville, and Padre Island in Corpus Christi.     

Spring Break will  cost money if you decide to travel around Texas. For example, going on a road trip you need to consider the cost of fuel, food, and somewhere to sleep. Fuel is usually $1.99 per gallon in Texas. Hotels, on average, for a family of four is around $100 dollars or more per night. Food is the same thing– it depends where you go and how many people there are. The cost of a waterpark can be different  depending on where you go. At Sunsplash Family Waterpark kids from 2-12 years old and  seniors 60+ will pay $14.95, adults, anyone 13+ can expect to pay$16.95. If you travel out of state you’re probably going to want to travel by plane. For a family of four the average plane tickets cost about $400 or more per passenger.    

The reason most of us like Spring Break is to spend time together or go on a vacation because there is no school for a week and there is also  good weather. Some people also like to do these things because it gives them a break from their everyday routine in which they can take a moment to just relax.