Costume Designers in Hollywood

Mila Jimenez, Contributor

Have you ever wondered who made the costumes for your favorite movie? Well, this is the story of Colleen Atwood, an award winning costume designer in Hollywood. Atwood was born in Yakima Washington, on September 25, 1948. She is known for costuming movies like, “Sweeney Todd”, “Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them”, and “Chicago”. Before becoming a big name costume designer, she was a fashion adviser. After that she went to NYU (New York University). While she was there Atwood got a lucky chance by meeting a friend of a friend when she learned “Ragtime” was currently in production. She started working as an assistant designer in the film. The first film she was the main designer for was the film “A Little Sex” in 1982. Since then Atwood has earned 73 film credits, and the list only keeps growing.

Colleen Atwood has reached success in the industry, but costuming isn’t as simple as grabbing a shirt off the rack. There are many more things needed before someone even gets a job. Getting a degree is very needed and helps when looking for jobs. You may be skilled in the art of sewing, but having the education needed will help during the job and during the process of getting the job. Costuming requires a lot of time and research. A specific time period will need costumes that make sense to the period. Just because you’re getting paid doesn’t mean the film or play will have an unlimited budget. Costumes are vital to the character. If the actor doesn’t feel good or confident in it, the costume most likely won’t work. Costume designers also often have to work under a time crunch. If a film or play is coming out soon, it’s the designer’s job to have costumes ready in time. It’s a hard job and a hard industry, but if you have the heart for it it’ll fit with every seam and stitch.